Do you want to bring more attention to the importance of reuse in your community? If so, work with your elected officials to proclaim October 20 as National Reuse Day! The Reuse Alliance Texas chapter put together this list of actions to get you started.
- Identify a reuse ally within your city or county government
- The Texas chapter worked with the City of Austin’s Recycling Economic Development Liaison to have the City of Austin proclaim Oct. 20, 2014, as Austin’s Reuse Day and the start of Reuse Week.
- This year, they are also working with the Conservation Coordinator at Travis County to make the proclamation at the county level.
- Host reuse events occurring throughout Reuse Week
- Work with your Reuse Alliance chapter members or partner with reuse organizations in your area to host events during that week - open houses, sales, parties, etc.
- Add these events to a local community calendar or promote them on your own.
- Utilize the networks of partner organizations for cross-promotion.
- Send out a press release & promote on social media
- Once your local officials are on board with the proclamation and you have your partners and events lined up, send out press releases to local news media to get the attention you deserve. Check out the City of Austin Press Release from 2014 for more details.
- Utilize your social media network to get the word out.
- Develop or Participate in Reuse Day / Reuse Week online campaign
- The Texas chapter is planning an online campaign that encourages residents to share how they reuse at home, in the office, and/or at school.
- They are also putting together a “10 ways to reuse” fact sheet to share with online media. Share your ideas with firstname.lastname@example.org
- #reuseweek2015 #reuse #reuseday2015
If you decide to proclaim October 20 as Reuse Day or proclaim a whole Reuse Week, tell us about it in the comments below.